After a Portland, Oregon car accident, you may wonder if you really need a car accident attorney to settle your claim.
Short Answer: The answer to that depends on the particulars of your car accident case and your level of injuries.
- You were not injured: you probably do not need an attorney. However, even if you are not hurt, do not rule out hiring an attorney. It is important to look at the severity of the accident and use your best judgment. A minor fender bender where no one was injured can usually be handled by you and the insurance company.
- You or your loved one were injured: in an accident that was not your fault, especially if there is a long-term injury, or other damages, you always should consult a Portland personal injury attorney.
When You Should Run to an Attorney
There are some Portland car crash cases where it is important to consult an attorney right away. Here are some examples of when you should absolutely retain a car accident attorney:
- An injury has happened with serious long term consequences, such as broken bones or hospitalization. Also, if the injuries have permanent consequences, such as paralysis, seeing an attorney is a must.
- A death was caused by the car crash.
- Fault is contested.
- Other parties were involved, such as other cars and/or pedestrians.
- The accident happened in a construction zone.
- The police report does not properly describe what happened and states you are at fault.
- Complex legal, technical or medical issues are at stake.
- You have low limits on your liability insurance.
- You have no auto insurance, or your insurance company says you did not pay your premium.
- Your insurance company shows signs of not wanting to cover your claim.
- Your insurance company brings in its own attorney.
Other Reasons to Connect With a Personal Injury Lawyer:
- Getting advice on the settlement value of your claim. An attorney cannot give you a precise value, but she will be able to give you the best and worst case scenarios.
- When you are unsure if other types of insurance can be tapped.
- Determining if your insurance company acted in bad faith.
- Obtaining information about how to handle insurance company negotiations.
- You are not sure what your legal rights are.
- If You are confused over your policy terms.
- When you need a legal expert to review forms or paperwork related to the accident.
Where To Go Next: Schedule Your Free Consultation at The Herron Law Firm.
The Herron Law Firm will review your case for free and let you know if you can benefit from hiring an attorney for your car accident claim.
The Bottom Line:
If you were in a car accident, you may not be certain if you need an attorney or not. In some cases, with substantial injuries and property damage, it is probably in your interest to retain a Portland personal injury attorney. But if the injuries were minor or you were unhurt, you may not need an attorney.